Join the Long Distance Trails Crew and help build and restore the Appalachian Trail in Harriman State Park.
These volunteer lead worktrips are open to everyone: experienced trail builders seeking to develop their skills, as well as people with no experience looking to try something new and give back to the trails they enjoy.
The crew works Friday, Saturday, Sunday every other week. Details for each worktrip will be posted on a rolling basis. Register here to be included on the LDTC Mailing List and receive details on upcoming worktrips.
We will meet at 8:30am at the Lake Tiorati Circle Parking Lot in Harriman State Park. We will be working on the Appalachian Trail on Surebridge Mountain.
This time, approximately 0.5 miles of new trail will be built at the eastern end. Part of this will be a section of sloping trail that needs to be cut and raked through the woods and brush. We also will be building steps where the trail exists now, along with stone cribbing across the bowl section. We will have multiple worksites and will be setting two highlines, so we can use all your help. Please come out and join us
- Wear sturdy boots or shoes, long pants and bring your work gloves.
- Bring your lunch and plenty of water.
- Safety glasses and hard hats are required. If you do not have your own, they will be provided and it is required that they be worn.
- Training is hands-on. No experience required.
- The day will end at approximately 4 pm.
Prior to your first workday, please complete the Volunteer Service Agreement:
- For 'Location/Facility' use Palisades Region
- For 'Description of Volunteer Service' use Trail Crew
Visit the Long Distance Trails Crew web page to learn more about our Trail Crew.
If you have any questions please contact Chris Reyling (914) 953-4900
Arden Valley Rd
Southfields, NY 10975
Additional worktrip information